Sunday, June 7, 2009

Roman ruins and countryside






















Here's hoping school is out for most of you and your summer celebrations have begun! We are absolutely loving Romania, what a neat country! Here's Bryan trying out Ulyssa's birthday swimmie pool, Ashlee in the kitchen-cooking up a storm. She and Izzy made us dinner and served it with appetizers on the patio. Izzy models our awesome firepit, bbq area.

We had a great week, everyone has adjusted to their new schedules, we're eating good, we have a vehicle and saw some fun things we thought you may like to see too. Bryan's work visa was in the process of going through, so we got to have him at home a few days more. He was a great tour guide! Romanian countryside...apparently it's one of the new favorite places to make movies. You can see why, it's still so untouched by commercialism.

Monday, he took us to a place called Adamclisi, an old Roman Monument from the 4th century AD. I would love to tell you that the kids were riveted by the ancient carvings and the story told around the ruin, instead they wanted to play on the stairs and pet the mangy dog. We did all agree that the countryside is stunning and got some cute photos. The original blocks are exposed in the picture below.

A few minutes later, on a hill in the middle of a beautiful valley, was everyone's favorite...an ancient Romanian village... Tropaeum Trianai. We roamed, climbed and explored all we wanted and no one was in sight. It was inhabited until 7 AD, but had some awesome little columns and walls to explore, it was huge.It is still in the process of excavation.

We're still trying to figure out this drainage system that runs through the center of the main street. Wouldn't it be awesome to go back and see it?

We also visited St. Andrew's Monastery , built around this cave they say that Andrew the apostle lived while traveling and preaching. It is a destination for many catholics and a very holy site. The Monastery was beautiful. The kids got a kick out of a painting of Satan that made him look like a skinny goat. Very vivid painting style.
We finished the day off by letting everyone dip a bucket in a random well, because......hey, everyone needs to fill a bucket from an old well at sometime in their lives right?



4 comments:

  1. wow everything is SO green there! I love the purple flowers in the fields- i can't believe they just grow naturally like that.

    Little Ulyssa is so cute in that individual pic of her- her little stance and pose! I love it! I like your shoes! Are they pumas?

    Those are really neat ruins! It would be SO awesome to see how it all looked back in the day. I can't believe it's gotten so overgrown! That's cool about the well- I've always wanted to try that! I bet the water tastes so good and fresh from a well- not all chlorinated and recycled.

    Anywayz, I really enjoyed looking at all those pictures! Now i can see what it's like to live in Romania vicariously through you! Oh, and maybe satan does look a horrible nasty skinny ugly goat- that was a funny picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what amazing country side! Glad you are all safe and hopefully back to normal with your sleeping patterns. I saw your family this week at Doug's wedding. We had a lot of fun with Becky and Emily. Thanks for posting all the cute pictures. You guys have the coolest family!!! Love you. Sherry and crowd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures and I'm glad that you now have a blog that we can read exactly what you are doing when! The kids look happy and you look great! Keep posting and we'll stay in touch! The blessing was wonderful, even Elder Russel M. Nelson was there. I'll tell more later when I get time to post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you guys are having a lot of fun! The pictures are gorgeous! We miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete